NCC 2019 Temperature Range Check and Thermal Comfort Plugin
This plugin for DesignBuilder, developed by DesignBuilder Australia, will help you to perform the thermal comfort and temperature range checks required in NCC 2019 Section J. The plugin generates a report showing the number of operation hours each zone in a building is within the target temperature and thermal comfort score (PMV) range, and whether the building as a whole meets the NCC 2019 criteria. The report is in html format and can be shared online or copied and pasted into Microsoft Word or other applications. You can download a demo version of the plugin free of charge.
Requirements: The plugin requires DesignBuilder 6.0 or above.
Current Version: The current version of the plugin is 0.5.5. Note: You must upgrade to at least version 0.5.0 to use purchased activation codes.
Purchase: When you first install the plugin it is in demo mode. You can generate 4 trial reports using the plugin before purchasing an activation code to continue using the plugin.
How to Install the Plugin
- Close DesignBuilder
- Extract the files from the installer (unzip)
- Run ‘setup.exe’
- The next time you run DesignBuilder, the plugin is accessible through an additional menu item ‘NCC2019 Tools’
Before using the plugin, the building model and simulation settings need to be set up appropriately. A printed manual for the plugin can be downloaded below:
Full details of the hours of operation included in the plugin analysis are included in the following document:
There is also a video tutorial and troubleshooting guide – see below.
Video Troubleshooting Guide
Purchasing an Activation Code
When you first install the plugin it is in demo mode. You can generate 4 trial reports using the plugin before purchasing an activation code to continue using the plugin.
For pricing options, contact DesignBuilder Australia .
When you are ready to purchase an activation code, please contact DesignBuilder Australia with your unique machine ID. This is available through the plugin menu options ‘About’ or ‘Activate Licence’. Please note that you must upgrade the plugin to a version later than 0.5.0 in order to use purchased activation codes.
- Highly recommended upgrade
- Bug fix – floor area for zones marked ‘DONOTREPORT’ was incorrectly included in the plugin analysis. These zones and any zones with unknown building class are now excluded from the plugin analysis (i.e. these zones do not contribute to total floor area). This may change the result of the total building pass/fail test.
- Bug fix for ‘file locked’ issue when opening EnergyPlus results in locations other than the default folder.
- Improved error messages.
- Hours included as hours of operation for Class 9b School and Class 9c Aged Care have changed. Please see NCC2019 Schedules for Thermal Comfort Report (link below) for full details of hours included in the plugin analysis.
- Highly recommended upgrade – especially if you work with large models, large output files or if you use simulation manager and save output data to your own folders.
- This version fixes a bug with handling large simulation output files. Very large files can now be processed. Progress will be reported in a small window to let you know the plugin is working as it can take some time to process very large files.
- The workflow for generating a report has changed slightly. To accommodate users who save their simulation data to locations other than the default location, the plugin will now confirm that it is loading the correct simulation data each time it is run. You can choose to browse to a saved data file (eplusout.eso file) in a new location if you need to. If you are not using simulation manager and have not set the simulation options to save output data to a new location, the output data is probably in the default location, and you can answer ‘Yes’ when prompted.
- Minor bug fix to improve messages displayed when incorrect activation codes are entered.
- This is an important update to the plugin that improves the management of activation codes. You must upgrade to this version to use purchased activation codes. You can continue to use previous versions in demo mode only.
- Zone names are now listed in the report tables as they are displayed in DesignBuilder
- Additional information about the building model (weather file name) and settings related to thermal comfort (metabolic rate) are listed at the top of the report
- An additional label: ‘DONOTREPORT’ is available to indicate zones that should not be included in the analysis even though they are marked as occupied in DesignBuilder. These zones will be listed at the top of the report.
Upgrading the Plugin
Uninstalling the Plugin
To uninstall the plugin, click on the Windows key, then select (Settings)|Apps.
You will find the plugin listed under “Design Builder Software Australia Temperature Check and Thermal Comfort Report Plugin” in the list of installed applications. When you click on the plugin name, choose ‘Uninstall’.
Your plugin activation is preserved when you uninstall, so you can reinstall the plugin later without having to re-enter your activation code.