Special DesignBuilder Training – Melbourne 5th 6th & 7th June:
Two-day VURB training workshop – 5th & 6th June – Member $750 / Non-Member $850
Three-day VURB + JV3 workshop – 5th, 6th & 7th June – Member $1,050 / Non-Member $1,200
Simulation for homes has been traditionally carried out using the Chenath/NatHERS software, most frequently for compliance purposes. The DesignBuilder (DB) software suite provides additional functionality for analysing the design of thermally comfortable and energy efficient homes. The DB GUI allows for building geometry input from CAD files, rendering of sunpath and shadow diagrams, daylight analysis, prediction of the impact of passive solar and natural ventilation strategies on space thermal comfort, as well as prediction of annual energy use for heating and cooling.
Australia’s National Construction Code (NCC) allows for energy simulation of buildings by comparing a Proposed Design against a Reference Design. Long used for commercial buildings under Section JV3 of Volume One, this compliance path is also available for detached housing under Section 2.6 of Volume Two.
The workshop will concentrate on instructing participants on the use of DesignBuilder to analyse house designs. An optional 3rd day is proposed (based on the level of interest) for instruction on Section-J compliance for smaller commercial buildings using the JV3 Alternate verification using a reference building method (Vol 1).
Please complete the following:
All new DesignBuilder version 5 licences and upgrades come with one (1) complimentary hour of email or phone support. Extensive free support is also available from our web-based Support Desk, part of a wide range of free, online support resources:
- Introductory videos: many introductory Flash video tutorials in DesignBuilder are freely available from designbuilder.co.uk/training/online-learning/tutorials (login required, free account)
- Detailed videos: a large number of specific topics are covered (including CFD) in individual, free YouTube videos and webinars at designbuilder.co.uk/training/online-learning/webinars
- Online program help: see designbuilder.co.uk/helpv5.0 (or later)
- Knowledge base, FAQ, support desk and support forum: http://support.designbuilder.co.uk
- DesignBuilder support forum: designbuilder.co.uk/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,25
- Hardware and operating system requirements: http://support.designbuilder.co.uk/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/25/0/hardware-requirements&Itemid=100
- EnergyPlus support group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EnergyPlus_Support/
- EnergyPlus website: http://energyplus.net
Additional, specialised, project-specific support may be purchased in blocks of time.
|Time (minutes)||Fee (ex GST)|
A typical support request might use 20 minutes in which case a 60-minute support block would cover three incidents.
Standard Training Workshops (hands-on)
1 day: Introduction to DesignBuilder: 3-D Building Modelling $600 incl GST – Member Rate
2 days: Advanced DesignBuilder, including HVAC graphical interface $1200 incl GST – Member Rate
Purchase of one training seat by a nominated person is required for each new organisation purchasing DesignBuilder. In the case of multiple licences, attendance is required by only one nominated person from that organisation.
Members of EA, AIA, BDAV, AIRAH, ASHRAE, ASC (formerly ANZSES), ATA, CIBSE, SBSE, ACEA and AIB receive 10% discount on training. If your professional association is not listed here, please enquire.